Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted November 30, 2010


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Essay about Puppy Love

A Puppy to Love

by Mustang Patty

We all enter different stages of our lives on different days. As I prepared to be semi-retired, I realized that I missed having a dog. I've only had a few dogs in my life - cats are easier, can take care of themselves if life gets too busy, and their independence is a bit frustrating, too.

My desire for a Jack Russell Terrier began with "Eddie" from Frasier, and then the more and more I learned about the breed, I realized that I would love to have one for my very own - but the timing needed to be just right. The breed is prone to high energy, separation anxiety, and a need to be with "their person."

Over the years, I've encountered several business owners that would bring their Jack Russell to work with them, because it was their own business, and these dogs are extremely intelligent, very trainable, and adaptable to roaming the offices of a business - looking for a treat, a caress, or simply some acknowledgment. Most of the Jacks I had met this way had a pillow in the boss's office, where they would resolve themselves to - after they had looked for the occasional treat.

In earnest, I've been searching the puppy ads, and though I would have loved to rescue a displaced Jack, I couldn't take the chance that the dog wouldn't be able to relate to my resident cats. By adopting a puppy, I'm giving the cats a chance to be bigger and ensure that the puppy knows who is who in the pecking order. The internet is a wonderful thing, and I've been looking at pictures of pups for months. My eye has been trained to look for smooth coast, rough coats, and the markings I want. After looking at hundreds of pictures, and reading several books, I decided that I wanted a tri-color pup with a "mask" on his face, and a few more markings on his body that would make him unique. I knew that I wanted a male, . . .and since he would be neutered, it didn't matter if he came from champion stock - he will be my pet!

And so, today I sent the money to the breeder. My puppy will meet me when I get home. I can't tell you how excited I am. His kennel name is WILL - but I need some suggestions for great names - does anyone have a good strong name?

Thanks for reading!




I am so excited about having a new member in my family. This is a picture of him that was shared with me, and I cannot wait until he comes to live with us on December 17th!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.