Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted November 26, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
senryu

Water Under the Bridge

by adewpearl

Senryu Contest Winner 

Rains sweep makeshift homesteads
from the riverbank --
water under the bridge.




Senryu
Contest Winner

Recognized


The senryu is a poem related to the haiku, but it is usually about the human condition. The tone is often cynical or darkly humorous, making a satiric commentary. Its three unrhymes lines must consist of 17 or fewer syllables, but it does not have to be in 5/7/5 format. This senryu is in 6/5/6 form.
Water under the bridge is an idiomatic saying that means something unimportant that should best stay forgotten and in the past.
In my town and in many places across my country, there are people whose home is under the bridge. When I was collecting socks for the homeless at our local shelter several years ago, I asked the seventh graders what they knew about homelessness. One little girl raised her hand to let me know her uncle was one of those who live "under the bridge." Makes you think.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.