Romance Fiction posted October 9, 2010 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The first night without Cassie.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 8; part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
CHAPTER EIGHT
Sunday Morning
3:20 A.M.

Sleep had escaped Joe as he lay on his back staring at the ceiling fan. He rolled over and looked at the clock. Twenty-five minutes had passed since his last check. Standing in its center, Joe scanned the bedroom from top to bottom. A photograph of Sara and Cassie drew his attention. He stepped toward it and held it. Gently with his finger, he rubbed their cheeks through the glass and sighed.

Reaching over, he picked up Cassie's softball glove. After slowly pulling it on his hand, he hit the ball in the pocket of the mitt. He looked inside her closet and smiled at the blue and white cheerleading outfit. She's the all American girl next door. He touched the outfit. "Cassie, where are you?"

###
While waiting for coffee to perk, Joe checked on Sara. Wrapped in a light blue, raggedy terrycloth robe, she rocked in a chair and stared out the open window.

As Joe came closer, she turned. "My baby didn't come home last night."

He knelt beside her. "I know."

"This is the first night we've ever been apart."

Hesitantly, he placed his hand over hers. He swallowed, expecting her to move her hand and was unsure what to do when she didn't. He glanced at the bed. "You haven't been to bed?"

Still staring out the window, she said, "I didn't want to miss Cassie walking through the door." She swallowed and glanced at the rumbled blankets. "While Cassie was abducted, we made love."

"I know but ...." He took a deep breath, before he added, "I think Cassie would be missing even if we never met. I don't think our relationship had anything to do with it."

"You're probably right." She turned back to the window. "But I feel guilty I wasn't available to protect her."

"So do I." He stared at the floor. "I should've protected her."

Sara's eyes met his. "It's not your job to protect my daughter, but it is mine."

"You're a great mother. Nobody could've protected her from ...." He wasn't sure how to continue, as he rubbed the top of her hand with his thumb.

"I have an idea that might help you relax." He remembered Dani left a box of supplies. When she glanced in his direction, he asked, "Want to try?" He stood.

As she stood, he held her hand and led her into the hallway. He glanced toward the rumpled blankets on the bed and gulped.

Standing outside the bathroom, Joe said, "I need to get something. I'll be right back."

He returned carrying a medium sized cardboard box. "Dani left a few things she thought might come in handy." He opened the bathroom door.

When Sara stopped walking, he asked, "Is something wrong?" He hesitated a moment. "Dani left candles and bubble bath. She swears soaking in a bathtub filled with hot water and candles can help relax the most stressful situations. Want to try it?"

"The only thing that can help me is Cassie standing in my kitchen, begging me to take her somewhere."

*****
Sara watched Joe place the scented candles on the counter around the bathroom and lit them. Then he turned on the water and poured scented bubble bath into the tub. "The label says it's lavender and relaxing. Let me know if it works." He set the bottle on the counter. "The team should be here before you finish. I'll be gone most of the day. George will stay back in case you need anything."

He felt the water before he stood behind her, reached around and untied the robe.

When he slipped it from her shoulders, Sara swallowed. "Sorry, I didn't bother putting on my nightgown."

"I think your bath is ready." He hung the robe on a hook on the back of the door and turned to leave.

She stepped into the tub and sat down. "Joe?" She paused. "Please be safe. I don't want to ...."

"Hopefully, I'll bring Cassie safely back to you in time for dinner."

After Sara heard the door shut, she stared at the showerhead and tears rolled down her cheeks as visions of them making love in the shower entered her mind.

*****
Pouring a cup of coffee, Joe wished he could hear Sara say she loved him. While he sipped his black coffee, he remembered she's never said the words 'I love you'. As he stared at the bathroom door, he sighed. Will the job I love cost me the woman I love?

Joe drank a second cup of coffee and heard a knock on the front door. He answered and watched George hand each man a weapon.

"Before we went to the hotel last night we stopped by The Burger Palace. Outside the drugstore, on the opposite side of the street, is an ATM. The security camera had a perfect view of the white SUV and the license plate." George glanced toward Joe.

"I didn't even notice the drugstore." Joe shook his head.

George put his hand on Joe's shoulder. "You're emotionally involved with the case. That's why I'm here. I'm covering your back." He glanced toward the door. "We called the local police department last night. A few minutes ago they called us with the owner's address." He held out a piece of white paper.

Joe reached for the paper. "Let's go." He walked toward the door.

"Joe." When he turned toward Sara, she had her robe wrapped around her and said, "I don't want you to leave ...." She stopped, not sure how to finish the sentence but walked to him.

Joe, unsure of himself, put his arms around her.

As he pulled her closer, she felt a bulge on his left side. She stepped back, opened his jacket, and covered her mouth with her right hand. "A gun!"

"It's a standard part of our uniform."

As Sara surveyed the other men, they each opened their jackets and revealed their weapons.

George looked down at his. "Maybe while I'm in the house, I won't need mine." He took it from the holster, checked the safety and searched for a safe place to put it.

"You won't," confirmed Joe. "Sara, I need to get to work. I'll be in contact with George, so you'll have updates." He reached for Sara's hand.

She started to pull back, but didn't. Instead, she watched his large hand engulf hers and then raised her eyes to his and gulped.

"We'll get through this," he whispered.

"Please find Cassie."

"I will. I promise." He glanced toward the door.

Sara watched, as Joe exited through the door with Jim and Derek following behind. She turned toward George. "It looks like Joe made a pot of coffee. Would you like a cup? I have a feeling this may take awhile."

"Time will pass faster if you have a project or something to keep you busy."

She looked at the walls. "I was thinking about painting the living room, but have never found time."

George took a long drink of coffee. "I'll help. What color? I've always been partial to blue."

"You'd do that for me?"

"Since joining the Task Force, I've spent many hours waiting. I'd much rather paint a room than watch you pace."

"After I change, we'll go to Dad's store and get the paint. I always thought orange was a pretty color."

He called after her, "You're under duress. I'd better choose the color."



Recognized


Thank you Angelheart for your wonderful artwork 'Soul Storm'; actions questioned. Sara is definitely questioning her actions. My computer is still down, so I am using a new laptop while trying to learn Windows 7. I'm hoping by this time next week, it will be squared away. I have decided I must be praying for patience because God is attempting to teach me and I'm a slow learner. My glasses broke this week and the only back ups I have are prescription sunglasses. I will not begin to tell you about the looks I am getting. An old lady wearing sunglasses inisde, oh my!!! My new glasses should be in no later than Wednesday. I want to thank all of you for sticking by me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.