General Poetry posted September 13, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The heart has reasons of which reason has no knowledge

not necessarily narcissistic

by Janelle



what is it that you seek in such a crystal clear pool
what captivates   
intrigues
beguiles

do you see your lover's shadow
or the countenance of a fool
who is it that owns your wistful smile

is it infatuation or just pure folly   
perfection seeking its twin in the nearest mirror

does your heart yearn for love
as intangible as an echo
as fragile as a flower

the answers are a mystery   
so I'm content to just observe you being in love   
so hopelessly

imagining scenarios with the object of your desire
pretending she is me


 




Recognized


The lowercase and no punctuation presentation is intentional. Unfortunately, I was unable to change the text to the Papyrus font, which really suits this poem much better.

In layman's terms, when Narcissus was a sixteen years old deer-hunter, the nymph Echo (another reflection) fell in love with him. But her love was not returned, and she disappeared from woods and mountains, fading away. It is told that not even her bones remained, having been turned into stone, but that her voice still lives in her. Besides Echo, many other nymphs and youths sought Narcissus' love, but were ignored by him. Finally one of them prayed to heaven and that prayer was heard by Nemesis. And so Narcissus, having come to a pool to quench his thirst, saw his reflection in its smooth surface, and fell in love with it. But since he could not obtain the object of his love, he died of sorrow by the same pool. The nymphs grieved him, including Echo. But when they prepared his funeral pyre, they could not find his body. Instead they found the flower that today bears his name.

However, on doing some further research (courtesy of Google) I've learnt that some scholars believe that his twin sister, whom he loved so much, died and he was trying to be with her, even if it was via the reflection that mirrored his own image.

Whatever the facts, he has always intrigued me and I chose this Myth as the subject for one of my poetry class assignment. I hope you enjoy it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janelle All rights reserved.
Janelle has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.