Romance Fiction posted August 14, 2010 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cassie's ball softball game.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 5, part one

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
CHAPTER FIVE
Saturday Morning
8:30 A.M.

The following morning, Cassie walked into the kitchen and watched her mother busy baking cookies for the bake sale. Cassie grabbed a cookie from the cooling rack. "Did Mr. Joe kiss you goodnight?"

"That's none of your business, young lady." Sara's cheeks flushed.

Cassie laughed. "He did, didn't he?"

Sara measured dough and placed it carefully on the cookie sheet. "I said it's none of your business." She turned toward the oven. "Hand me that blue hot pad on the table." Taking the hot pad from her daughter, she continued, "Your breakfast is on the counter."

"Mom, are you in love with Mr. Joe?"

Her hands were on her hips. "Cassie, Mr. Barnes lives over five hundred miles away, so I don't think that question's even relevant. Besides if you don't hurry, you'll be late for your game."

Grinning, she watched her mom insert a toothpick into a chocolate chip cookie. "I'd like it if he spent more time around here."

Sara ignored her daughter, remembering the safety she felt in Joe's arms and the undeniable passion his kisses spiked within her. She grabbed her stomach, trying to stop the desires from returning.

Cassie kissed her mom's cheek. "I need to leave. Wish me luck."

"Good luck and I'll be there as soon as the last batch of cookies is done." She scanned the counter. "Do you think I need to make something else?"

"No Mom, cookies, brownies and cupcakes are enough. You don't need to bring everything." She picked up a cookie and took a bite. "Other moms need to bring something too. 'Bye."

Sara smiled as she heard the door close. "She's right. This is enough." She peeked inside the oven to check the cookies.

As Cassie stepped off the porch with her blue ball cap on crooked and her glove and bat in her left hand, Joe shut the car door and said, "Hi. Ready for your debut?"

"Yep. You coming to the game?"

"Of course, there's no way I'd miss it. I hear there's this great new pitcher about to start her first game."

When Joe walked closer, she put her right arm around him and gave him a brief hug. "Thanks. See you there. Mom's in the kitchen. Gotta go." She switched the glove and bat to the right hand, put her baseball cap on straight and jogged down the sidewalk.

Joe walked up the porch steps and watched Cassie, before he smiled and said under his breath, "She's a great kid, but I don't think I'll ever understand her." He rubbed the back of his neck as he opened the door.

Hearing the door open, Sara called out, "Honey, did you forget something?" Her eyebrows rose when she turned and Joe walked into the kitchen.

"No, I didn't forget anything." He grinned. "Cassie said you were in the kitchen." He picked up a chocolate chip cookie and took a bite. "Hum, good. Did I tell you they're my favorite?"

She put her hand to her hair, straightening the strands that had fallen from the rubber band, then looked down at her blue plaid pajama bottoms and sighed. As she studied her blue T-shirt covered with flour, she said, "I wasn't expecting company."

Joe took the rubber band loose from her ponytail and ran his fingers through her hair. "I prefer your hair down, so I can see the blonde streaks." He brushed hair from her cheek. "I happen to think it's beautiful." He then put his arms around her. "I'm sorry you're uncomfortable." He kissed her cheek. "Last night you were gorgeous, but to be perfectly honest I've never seen you more beautiful than you are right now."

"Are you lying to make me feel better?"

"I'm not lying. I think you're very beautiful. But to make you feel better, I'll finish in here. Go change or do whatever females do." He chuckled as he added, "As long as it doesn't include nail polish."

She took a few steps toward her bedroom, then turned around and ran to Joe. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.

Realizing what she was doing, she flushed as she released him and ran toward the bedroom.

Joe grinned, watching her leave. I love you too, Sara.

*****
When Sara returned wearing blue jeans and a lavender blouse, she stared at the goods packed for the bake sale. "Ready? I'll help you carry everything to the car." Joe grinned.

"You didn't need to do all this." She released a deep breath. "About earlier, I'm sorry."

"I'm not." He walked to her and put his arms around her. "I told you last night I'm falling in love with you. Why would I be upset when you kissed me?"

"You're enjoying this way too much," she said as she glanced at the round wall clock. "We need to leave. Cassie's game starts in five minutes."

After giving her a quick kiss, Joe picked up a box of baked goods and walked toward the door. "I only ate three cookies. I'll donate some money to the recreation center."

With her arms full, she smiled. "I'm sure that won't be necessary. Cassie already told me I made too much."

*****
After talking with Ginger Moore behind home plate, Joe found Sara sitting at the top of the bleachers along the first base side. When he sat beside her, he took her hand. "After you finished helping set up the bake sale, why didn't you join me behind home plate?"

She stared at the field. "I didn't want to interrupt you and Ginger. It looked like you were having a serious discussion."

Joe grinned as he lifted her hand and kissed her little finger. "Have I ever told you how cute you are when you're frustrated and jealous?" He touched the tip of her nose. "She walked up to me. I guess she has a daughter on the team. She invited me to have drinks with her at the country club after the game."

Sara held her breath. "What did you tell her?"

"Don't look so worried. I reminded her I have plans with you and she's married." He noticed Cassie swinging a bat in the batting circle. "I'll be right back."

He walked up to the fence. "Cassie, during warm-ups you dropped your right shoulder." He pretended to swing the bat illustrating what he meant. She acknowledged with a nod and a smile, as he climbed the bleachers.

He returned to her side. "I let Ms. Moore know how beautiful you are on the inside as well as the outside. I then asked if she could look me in the eye and tell me she never had sex until her wedding night."

"No you didn't, did you?" Sara covered her mouth with her hand. "What did she say?"

"She walked away, so I'm sure she'll think twice before judging you again."

After Cassie took a ball, she turned and glanced at Joe. She nodded, when Joe pointed to his shoulder. Cassie then swung and missed the next pitch. She looked at Joe again. He stood and pretended to swing a bat, then sat down. Cassie, again nodded.

With the crack of the bat, Sara jumped to her feet. "Run Cassie," she cheered as Cassie rounded first base. Jumping up and down, she watched Cassie round second base.

As Cassie headed for third base, Joe stood and cheered, "Slide, Cassie, slide!"

Sara hugged him. "She's safe!" She smiled up at him, still hugging him.

"Yes, I saw it. She hit a triple."

"Oops. I'm sorry. I guess I got excited." She glanced around at the other parents watching and smiling. "I'm sorry."

Joe chuckled. "Don't be sorry. Your reaction was a normal mom reaction." He took her hand in his. "And don't worry about Ginger staring at us. I believe she's jealous of you."

"I'll try to keep my enthusiasm under control." When the following batter hit Cassie home, Sara stood, started to cheer, then stopped and sat.

Laughing, Joe squeezed her shoulders. "I enjoyed your enthusiasm. Go ahead and cheer."

After Cassie crossed home plate, she glanced at Joe, gave a thumbs up and a huge smile. "Thanks." She pointed toward her right shoulder.

He acknowledged with a grin and a nod.



Recognized


Thank you Lord Taylor for the great artwork The Ball Game. This is part one of chapter 5 and part of an entire novel. If you have not read the previous chapters, you will not understand the characters and why they act as they do. I am setting the scene with this chapter. After the ball game, things will start happening that will change Sara and Cassie's lives. Thank you for supporting me while I fight this cancer. I appreciate each of you. The school year has began for the teachers and my engery level remains low. I will post a short story contest entry next weekend. It will be the following weekend before I am able to finish the soft ball game. As of now, my surgery is scheduled for Sept 16. Chemo starts three week after the surgery My doctor's surgery schedule is full. She is trying to get me in earlier. I will keep you posted. I want to thank you for your prayers, thoughts and well wishes. I can honestly say I am drawing my strength from my friends. Words cannot explain what you mean to me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.