Romance Fiction posted July 21, 2010 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The reunion continues.

A chapter in the book Another Pretty Face

Chapter 3 Part three

by barbara.wilkey



Background
While Col. Joe Barnes visited his parents, he was reacquainted with his best friend's baby sister, Sara. Sara became pregnant during her senior year and raised her daughter, Cassie by herself. His best friend, Josh, was killed during Desert Storm.
Joe led Sara to the hotel's ballroom. As they stood in the doorway, a former male classmate walked up to her. "This live band is really good. Why don't we take a spin around the dance floor for old time sake?"

"My dance card's only open for my date." She squeezed Joe's hand.

He studied Joe, before turning toward Sara. "Are you going to introduce us?"

Joe watched the medium-built man size him up, then he noticed Sara's nervousness and held out his hand. "I'm Joe Barnes, and you are?"

"Roy Moore. Sara and I were classmates." He adjusted his suit jacket. "Joe Barnes? Are you the same Joe Barnes who holds all the track records and who led the football team to its first and only state championship? You went to West Point, right?" He eyed Sara. "How do you know her and why are you slumming?"

Joe put his arm around Sara's waist. "To start with, I'm not slumming."

"You're about ten years older than us," he interrupted. "Maybe you don't know her reputation. I'll fill ...."

"I'm not interested," Joe snapped. "If I did an investigation into your past, I'm sure I'd find skeletons."

Roy drew his shoulders back and crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm not sure you know who you're speaking to."

"You're the youngest of five Moore brothers." The twinkle in Joe's eyes showed a glimpse of his confidence. "I'm positive you don't know who I am."

"You're in the Army, so what?"

Joe stepped closer, shortening the distance between Roy and himself. Roy grabbed Joe's right arm. Joe reached over with his left hand and placed two fingers in the groove on the underside of Roy's wrist. Joe's thumb was on top of his wrist as he squeezed, compressing the blood vessels and nerves. A smile crossed Joe's face. I wonder if he's in enough pain, yet.

"Joe, he's not worth it," whispered Sara. "I feel like dancing. Please?"

His brown eyes softened, and he glanced toward her. "All right." They turned and walked away.

Roy chuckled. "You let a woman tell you what to do?" He shook his head. "What a wimp!"

Joe stopped to address the comment, but Roy rubbed his wrist, turned, and hurried away.

Sara touched Joe's arm. "Please ...?"

Placing his hand on the small of her back, he led her to the dance floor. Sara leaned closer, resting her head against his shoulder. "You need my shoulder and I'm the reason for it. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry you were drawn into this. I was afraid something like this might happen. Maybe we should leave." She stared into his eyes.

Slowly he kissed her. "I won't allow some jerk to force us to leave." He tightened his arms, as she again leaned against his shoulder. After a few dances, Joe lifted her chin to look into her eyes. "Just checking for tears."

"No tears. Your arms make me feel safe. Like nothing could ever hurt me."

"Good." He adjusted his arms, holding her tighter.

After another dance, Joe led Sara to the side of the dance floor. "Would you like something to drink?"

"No, I don't drink or eat anything at functions like this."

Her response caused his eyebrows to rise. "Why not?"

She faced the dance floor before she took his hand in hers. "At my senior prom, my drink was spiked and I didn't know it." She brushed a strand of hair from her cheek before she gulped. "I know you probably don't believe me, but I honestly didn't know the punch was spiked."

He moved his arm around her waist. "I believe you. Let's step outside."

Sara stood on the sidewalk and stared at the stars. "The sky's beautiful tonight, isn't it?"

"It is." He kissed her cheek and waited for her to continue.

"I got stumbling drunk." She studied the ground, slightly lifted her gown, and then stared at her high-heels.

Joe's impatience took over. "Is that the night you got pregnant?"

"Yes, in the backseat of a Chevy." She glanced at Joe with moisture in her eyes.

When he saw tears, he took her in his arms. "Come here." Holding her he asked, "How much did you remember the following morning?"

She stepped back. "I've never talked about this before. Not even with my parents." She swallowed, wrung her hands, and then continued, "I remember parking in our driveway. I vaguely remember kissing. Somehow, I fell getting out of the car, and he helped me up. Instead of helping me to the front door, he opened the car's back door and sort of shoved me inside; but I don't remember how. We laughed and talked about not making it to the front door."

She closed her eyes, as tears streamed down her cheeks. After taking Joe's hand and squeezing it, she whispered, "My next memory; him inside me. I don't know how it happened." Joe dried the tears, as she said, "I don't remember anything else until the following morning. I woke up in my bed fully dressed, except for my panties. I couldn't find them." As Joe held her, she wept.

Ginger walked outside. "Oh, excuse me, but Sara was our homecoming queen and she's needed inside. Maybe you can continue this little tryst later." She giggled as she adjusted the halter-top of her black evening gown.

Joe turned toward Ginger. "We'll be in later. Continue with something else until then."

After Ginger left, Sara glanced up at Joe. "Thank you."

"I'll always come to your defense. You don't deserve any of this." He hesitated. "Fifteen years is a little late to find this out, but you were too drunk to give consent. You were a victim of date rape."

With tears rolling down her cheeks, she whispered, "You mean I'm not a slut?"

"You could never be a slut." He kissed the side of her head. "When you told him you were pregnant, did he breakup with you?"

Sara stepped back and took a deep breath. "No, he broke up with me before that." She turned her back to him, took a deep breath, before she faced him again. "He didn't call or come by at all Saturday. Sunday after church, I was walking to the car. He drove up, rolled down the window and handed me my panties. He said he found them in the backseat."

She wiped a tear from her cheek. "He said he went to a party after he dropped me off and met someone."

"When you began to show, did he ask if the baby was his?" Joe rubbed his chin.

"Nope, he never acknowledged there was even the possibility he could be the father."

"He must be a real SOB." Joe noticed Ginger peek around the door. "I told you we'd be in when we're ready." He took Sara's hand. "Whenever you're ready, we'll go inside. There's no reason to rush it." He glanced toward the door. "Is he here?"

Sara studied the door. "Yes."

"I'll understand if you want to leave." Joe released a deep breath.

"I promised myself after Cassie was born I wouldn't live as a hermit. I refuse to give him any more control of my life." Studying her hand in Joe's, she sighed. "There's one good thing that came out of this." She looked into his eyes. "I have Cassie, and she's a wonderful daughter."

"That she is. You can be proud of her." He drew her closer. "I think this is one of the times you need to lean on me." As she cuddled in, he said, "Take all the time you need, we have all night."

*****
When Sara and Joe walked into the ballroom, Rich Harrison, the class president, stood center stage and announced, "Sara Riley, would you step up here?"

Sara glanced at Joe and released a deep breath before she let go of his hand and walked up the stage stairs.

Joe watched, then searched the crowd wondering which man was Cassie's father.

Rich smiled at Sara, as the classmates surrounded the stage. "I'd like to present our homecoming queen, Sara Riley." After the applause stopped, Rich said, "Sara, this next dance is your choice."

Roy ran up the stairs. "I guess we still have one dance left."

Sara smiled at Rich. "If I remember right, the homecoming queen gets to choose her partner, right?"

"But, I'm the quarterback." Roy stood beside Sara.

"I guess you fumbled, again." Rich, a tall slender man, smiled and asked Sara, "Who would you like as your partner?"

As Sara stared at Joe, he grinned and started up the stairs. Stepping between Sara and Roy, he put his arm around her waist. "Are you ready for your dance?"

Smiling, she whispered, "Sorry, I hope you don't mind being in the spotlight."

Drawing her closer, he grinned. "I would've been upset if you didn't choose me." After he led her to the dance floor, Joe put both arms around her. As she cuddled in, he asked, "Is everything all right?"

"It is now."






Recognized


Thank you Pucker for your artwork Fighting Time. This is my view of Joe and Roy during their meeting. Again I appreciate all the support you give me. THANK YOU!!!
More information about the reunion evening will follow.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.