Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted March 6, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a descent into a living hell

Tears

by AlvinTEthington


877 words
The door was closed. I was ready to go out, but I lost my keys on average about once a week. They would always turn up in the strangest places--the laundry bin, a trash can where I put my really bad first drafts of literature, and even once in the seldom used microwave; it came with the apartment. Somehow they never turned up in the refrigerator.

I had learned to leave my door unlocked because possessions had stopped meaning anything to me. If someone wanted to take something, that person could have it. I lost two digital cameras that way. I had the bad habit of taking in strays for a few days so they wouldn't have to suffer the intense California rain outside or, even worse, the brutality of the Claremont police. I didn't know which was worse--having a warm place in jail but getting bruised all over or suffering the natural elements that living so close to the sea could bestow at a moment's notice.

I also took in drug addicts. I may be naif, but they had mothers who loved them once (I hoped) and they needed a place to stay and food to eat. Often they would agree to do some work around my home, but it never was done and expensive items were missing. I just didn't care anymore. My parents were dead, I talked to my sister once around Christmastime, and my friends were tired of my constant depression. It has been eight years, they told me. It could have been a lifetime.

There were some success stories. Tom was off crack and teaching down in San Diego, and Ryan had found a male lover and a place to live in West Hollywood. They never came back to thank me. The priest said God's thanks were enough, but why did I not feel God's thanks? All I felt was that God hated me. Everyone I loved was gone. Sometimes I had left them so they would not have to suffer the pain of living with someone who was mentally ill.

I always let myself take the blame in these situations. Not realizing how self-pitying it was, I always said It was all my fault; I was too crazy. My friends tired of helping me look for my keys at least once a week.

But there was a more important key, one that I had thrown away. I thought I had done it out of compassion, but I really had done it out of selfishness. I wanted to be alone. I didn't want anyone else to suffer, and I thought I knew what other people's sufferings were like. So I alienated everyone who loved me. When I needed sex, I turned to prostitutes; I thought in my misguided mind I was helping the poor and homeless. However, all I really was doing was using them. So I stopped and turned to alcohol and drugs, both so easy to find in Los Angeles.

The drinking bothered my friends immensely. I would get up at 0400 hours (I never forgot military time or living in Europe), and work until 0600 hours when the liquor stores opened. I would go buy a bottle and come home and write. I could do it for a while, but then I would pass out. I discovered that cocaine or crystal meth could keep me going. But the meth made me incredibly sexual but incapable of having sex, so I turned to masochism. I couldn't feel anything any way, so why not let someone have his or her pleasure beating me?

One day I was online, cruising for sex, and I received an instant message. I read your profile, it said, and I think I would like to meet you.

Why on earth? I wondered. But I thought Why not? I started to give him my address and he said he knew where I lived. How on earth did he know that? He said he would be by in half an hour.

I didn't put on a shirt so the marks would show up better and just threw on a pair of gym shorts and put a sharp single tail whip on the bookcase near the door. I figured he had been to my home before to beat me.

It seemed like hours. Finally there was a knock on the door. I knelt down in a submissive position and said, "It's open."

The door opened and a well-dressed Ryan came in. I hadn't seen him in ages.

What are you doing on the floor and why are there welts on your back?" he asked.

"Don't you want to beat me?" I said. "I would get off on it. Why do you think the door was unlocked?"

"It was closed and unlocked, but now it's open. I heard about the dire straits you have fallen into from a mutual friend, but I had no idea it was this bad. I've come to open your heart back up again, like it used to be."

I started crying. I had been beaten to a bloody pulp several times and felt nothing, but these tears were real, and oddly enough, they felt like tears of hope.



This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry

Recognized


This is NOT autobiographical.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. AlvinTEthington All rights reserved.
AlvinTEthington has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.