Romance Fiction posted January 23, 2010 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The men agree to let Leya stay at the safe house.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter Eight, part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
CHAPTER EIGHT

Early the following morning, Steven was awakened by Matt tapping his shoulder. Steven stretched as he heard Matt ask, "How's Leya?" Before he could answer, Matt continued, "When can she be moved?"

"I'm pretty sure she can't be moved for a few days. She didn't sleep well last night."

A vein in Matt's neck popped as he frowned. "I want her moved today, by tomorrow for sure. I'll call the doctor and check." He took his cell phone off the belt clip and punched in the number.

Matt stared at the phone. "The doc said the only place Leya can be moved to is the hospital." As he put his phone away, he noticed Leya stirring. "Are you feeling any better?"

"My head's pounding. Can you turn off the lights? They hurt my eyes." She watched Steven click the switch and said, "Thank you. How's my kitten?"

"Jim's responsible for the kitten. I'm sure he's doing a good job." He grinned.

"A kitten?" Matt's eyebrows rose.

Steven grinned. "One of those things we do for a pretty face."

Matt nodded knowingly as he sat beside Leya. "I know you've been sick since we last spoke but I told you we wouldn't hold you against your will. Have you made a decision?"

She glanced at Steven as she answered almost in a whisper, "If it's all right with the team, I'd like to stay."

Steven pushed his sleeves above his elbow and nodded. "It's fine with me. I'm positive it's all right with the men." I'm glad she came to that decision. He sent Matt a teasing glance. "I think Ralph has a crush on her."

"I wouldn't be surprised." Matt grinned as he rubbed the back of his neck. "He used to have a crush on Dani, but she's married with children."

When Leya ran into the bathroom and spent quite a while vomiting, Matt spoke with concern, "I'll figure out some way to keep the cartel at bay until Leya can be moved." He ran his hands through his short brown hair. "It won't be easy. Keep the men on high alert. Double the men on guard detail and the security rounds."

Leya walked from the bathroom and crawled back into bed. "Steven, since the men are putting their lives in danger for me, would you ask them if it's all right if I stay?"

Steven stepped into the hall where Bob stood guard. "Have the team meet in Leya's room in five minutes. The meeting will only last a few minutes."

When the team assembled, Steven asked, "Are you willing to continue protecting Leya?" Without hesitation, he reminded them, "The drug cartel knows she's here. We can't move her until she's well enough to travel. That could be weeks."

Ralph was the first to respond. "I'm in for the long haul."

Jim smiled and stared into Leya's eyes. "I'm in and have your kitten covered, but you should name him."

Bob grinned. "You know I'm always a sucker for a pretty face."

"Why would I mind? I'm on the disabled list myself." Geoff chuckled.

Derek tilted his head. "Of course, but why are you asking?"

Steven glanced toward Leya. "She doesn't want you feeling like you're forced to protect her, especially if you don't want to."

Derek smiled at Leya. "I'm sure it's the fever causing you to be delirious. You're one of us. We won't let anything happen to you."

As Steven waited for Peggy to respond, he thought, I knew she'd have the same effect on the team as Dani did. These men will do anything for her.

After a long pause, with the men staring at her, Peggy responded, "I don't see I have a choice. If I say no, I'll be sent to Task Force and my career's ruined. If I stay, I'll have to risk my life for Ms. Vegas while she sends information to her family. I don't see a choice."

Matt sighed loudly. "Peggy, pack your things. You're leaving with me. I don't know why you asked for this assignment. It isn't right for you."

She glared at Leya. "No Matt, Steven needs me."

Peggy, you did it now. Matt hates anyone defying him. Not only did you do it, but in front of the team and of someone outside the team. Matt's temper is notorious. Steven braced for the explosion as he watched Matt's clenched jaw and the veins in his neck pop out one at a time.

Leya whispered, "Thank you for willingly agreeing to risk your well-being for my protection. I appreciate it."

She glanced at Peggy. "I'm sorry you have so much animosity toward me. I don't know what I've done, but I'm sorry. Please forgive me."

"I'm sorry you're sick." Peggy glared at Steven.

Leya reached for Peggy's hand. "Thank you for your concern."

Peggy yanked her hand away, turned, and left the room. Matt followed. Soon they heard Matt's elevated voice, but they couldn't understand his words.

Ralph was the first to break the silence, "I think we better visit with Leya for a while." He grinned at her, "Hope you don't mind."

"I like the company." She smiled.

*****
The men stayed with Leya until they couldn't hear Matt's voice. After they left, Leya asked, "Steven, is it all right if I take a shower?"

"I don't think you're strong enough."

Although Leya heard disapproval in his voice and saw the scowl on his face, she said, "I am strong enough. I'm feeling better, really."

He sighed before saying, "OK, but I'm going against my better judgment."

Leya took a deep breath, afraid to make her next statement. "I'd like to change after my shower, but my nightgowns aren't appropriate."

"There's a reason I have Ralph helping you. He's old enough to be your father." He grinned and teased, "Maybe grandfather. Anyway, where are your nightgowns? I'm sure there's something appropriate."

After Leya pointed toward a dresser, Steven opened the drawer and fumbled through a few nightgowns, teddies and baby doll outfits. He held onto a silky blue gown. Leya would look beautiful in this. "You're right. There's nothing appropriate to wear in a house full of men." He thought for a second. "I have an idea. I'll be right back."



Recognized


Thank you for your reviews and continued support. I am sorry about my not being able to post except on weekends. The paying job must take priority.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.