Letters and Diary Non-Fiction posted June 13, 2008


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Aubrey & I are taking a cruise to Nova Scotia

Cruising the East Coast

by Rdfrdmom2


Peace, at last

Dear Friends:
   
The red-headed boy who stole my heart almost fifty years ago when he entered our second grade classroom is joining me on a cruise from Norfolk, Virginia to Nova Scotia, Canada beginning Friday, June 13, 2008. In our almost 35 years of marriage, this is only our second getaway with just the two of us. Normally very frugal, we splurged for an upper deck stateroom with a balcony. I didn't tell him he'd be sleeping on that balcony if his snoring interrupted my sleep.

The last few months have been extremely difficult for our family, church, and community. As many of you know, my son-in-law's mother died unexpectedly in her sleep just two months ago at age 45. David's dad, brother, and twin sisters have truly struggled with this tragedy. Yet, God is good! We've just learned that David's wife, Cindy, is going to have a child in mid-January, about the date of David's mom's birthday. Ironically, it appears she may have become pregnant the night prior to his mom's death. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. It seems this unborn child has given David's dad new hope and a reason to go on with life.

Later in April, my hometown was hit by a tornado, a rare event in Suffolk, Virginia. My husband's building was hit, but no one was hurt. One of his nieces was working in a pizza parlor that was completely demolished while she was at work. She was pulled from the rubble along with numerous others, including one of my daughter's colleagues who had run in to warn everyone the tornado was coming, and only had a few scratches on her. Her car was totaled but she was fine. Cars can be replaced ...

On May 10th, I received a call which began with, "Janice, you need to brace yourself." It was 8:09 p.m. The caller was someone who would only call me on a bet, trust me! 

"Ok," I barely said back to the caller. "What's wrong?"

"________ just killed himself."

"WHAT?" shouted a voice even I didn't recognize. Then, realizing I had just shattered someone's eardrum, said, almost sanely, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scream at you like that."

"It's ok. There's no good way to deliver news like that. The preacher is on his way there now. They need you."

"I'm on the way." 

I suppose I should interject here I am the head of our deaconry board. I could have named 5,000 people who might consider suicide and this person's name would never have crossed my mind. I went into the house to change my shirt. Somehow a neon orange Suffolk Crime Line t-shirt with a hog riding a motorcycle on the back, didn't seem to be appropriate attire. A fellow deaconess who happened to be at my house chatting with me outside went with me to my friend's house. I was thankful for the company.

Ironically, this man's wife and her older sister have been estranged for quite some time. While I was hugging my friend as she was pouring out her heart and soul to me, I sensed someone come up on our right side. Another set of arms reached for this grieving woman; instinctively I knew it was the older sister without even looking. Sure enough, God had provided grace for the moment for them both. Their need was raw and deep and could have only been met by the other. I moved back out of the way and let the healing begin.

Just last week, I received a call which let me know the selection made for Father of the Year by our church is a pedophile. When I called the head of the committee to ask the person be pulled and they go to the second person, I was first told it couldn't happen. I'm sure you can imagine how well that went over with me. The fear was the perpetrator's family might be upset. Are you kidding me? What about the victims? Who is willing to stand up for them? Fortunately, this was one battle Satan was not going to win on my watch This one came at a great personal loss as I have known and respected this man all my life. My first impulse was to go to his house to do him harm, but that's not what God calls me to do. This man is already dying from cancer. Instead, after much prayer, the minister and I will be meeting with him in an effort to try to save his soul.  In a perfect world, I will also be able to convince him to apologize to his daughters and granddaughters for all the harm he has brought to their lives. At the very least, I must try.

Yes, tomorrow that redheaded boy is going to take me cruising up the east coast. We'll be out in the Atlantic Ocean where there's at least as much water as I've cried in tears over the last few months. Now God will use those tears mixed with the salt water to buoy the Grandeur of the Seas over the next eight days as we relax, refresh, rejuvenate and reflect on all that has been and all that will be.  That redhead has had plenty of reasons to throw up his hands in utter frustration and just walk out the door, never to return. Somehow, he has remained by my side all these years in spite of the craziness I bring into his life.

His reward, for now, is eight days on the Grandeur of the Seas, June 13 - 21, 2008, to reflect on the next stage of our married life, that of becoming grandparents.  I can't imagine taking this journey with anyone else by my side.

Love,
Jan




Recognized


I've been very sporadic about writing, reviewing, and responding over the last couple of months due to the issues discussed in this letter to my fanstory friends. Thank you for your friendship and concern over the 6 months I've been a member. This trip has come just in time to save my sanity, I believe. In the midst of it all, however, God is good, all the time. See you again on June 21st!!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.