Spiritual Non-Fiction posted May 9, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
He is always there for us.

God's Night Light.

by Janilou


Some traumas never leave the subconscious mind, even after years of safety. Dedicated to those who have lived through trauma and will understand these words.










I stare out the bedroom window, afraid to go to sleep. Nightmares lurk in the shadows of my bedroom, waiting like hungry wolves to tear my sanity apart.

"If I don't get a decent night's sleep soon, I'll go insane," I tell the empty room. My husband has been called away on a late night service call down to the river. One of the tug boats is leaking water into the engine room.

The growl of distant thunder is comforting, although I don't know why. Still, I roll over and over, unable to rest.

Reality dreams I call them. Terror seems inadequate to describe these vivid scenes I live in my sleep. Nightmares so real, I can still feel the actual touch of the rapist on my body as I wake, screaming. Last night, I woke still smelling the smoke from the dream-fire burning my house down with my family inside. It took my husband ages to calm me down.

It is twenty-eight years since I was raped. A lifetime. Why can't I stop being afraid?

I turn to face the wall, and utter a hoarse prayer. Even my vocal cords are affected by this paralysing fear.

"Please, God, help me."

Thrashing, I turn and stare once more out the window. My eyes widen and I stare. In the thunder-stricken dark sky, a gap is forming.

Moonlight streams through this empty space in the shape of a soaring white dove, hovering over my home.

Gazing at this beautiful phenonemon, peace flows through my body, and after a while, I close my eyes and sleep.

There are no nightmares.




Recognized


This may mean very little to some of you, and I hope, comes as great encouragement of His love to others. Trauma affects us all in different ways. God loves us, and cares about our pain, but sometimes we forget just how much. I don't know why it took me so long to think to pray that night, but when I did, He was right there.
Hugs,
Jan

PS I am allowing non-writer reviews because one of my good friends is not currently a premier member, and I don't want to stop her from being able to respond if she wants to.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janilou All rights reserved.
Janilou has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.