General Fiction posted February 8, 2013


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A picture can say a thousand words.

Have You Lost Your Mind?

by justjo66

"A picture can say a thousand words." I have heard that expression most of my life. Have you ever found a picture so compelling that the more you looked the more you wanted to find that place and time and be there in that moment? Well, I did. The photographer had done his/her job well. This picture moved me.

As I pondered the picture, a thought came to mind. Why don't I...like Alice just step through the looking glass and go in and visit for a while? In more modern terms, "Scotty, beam me over."

"What? you ask. "Have you lost your mind?"

"No, I have found it." (Big grin on my face)

So, it was settled in my mind, I took a litte hop and there I was...

"Whoa! Wait a minute...am I all in one piece?" It's not everyday I get beamed through space/limbo. "Are all my moleules intact?" Well maybe a few brain cells...but I don't think I can blame that on the transport. I think I might just have seen a few too many Star Trek episodes in my youth. Let's see...two arms, two legs with feet attached, same bulging tummy (geez, it looks like some of those molecules could have got lost!). Wait...hold it...something is not right...everything is blurry (hands automatically going to my face).

"Oh my, where are my GLASSES?" This will NOT do." Frantically searching...a glint of metal catches my eye. Whew...there they are...over against the trunk of that big old oak tree. What a lovely old tree with its branches spreading out so far as if to say, "welcome, come sit awhile, isn't this just a perfect place?"

I walked up and leaned against the rustic flank fence. The old fence was broken in places and needing support by vines in various spots along the fence row. The beauty of the fence was refined by the years of weather and hardship it had endured. Kind of like some people I know. For many years, it had stood guard over the meadow beyond.

As I looked out beyond the fence, I could see the distant mountains and hills still shrouded in the grey blue morning mist rising up to the heavens. The meadow so green and lush with recent hay bales all in a row. Bees busied themselves in the multitude of colorfull flowers in the thick rich carpet of grass at my feet.

The smells were delicious of hay, grass, damp earth and just a faint aroma of the wood smoke from the small cabin just over the far ridge. So peaceful. So serene. I could stay here for hours in this place.

I stooped to pick a yellow and brown Black-eyed Suzy. Its delicate petals so intricate in my hand.

I could hear the Mockingbird in the oak above having a conversation with a friend off in anothr tree. A distant hoot of an owl in the distant meadow...the ringing, ringing, ringing...

Whoa! Wait a minute...ringing, ringing, ringing?

Whoosh...back to reality...I'm at work...

"Hello, yes I'll get right on it. First let me put this Black-eyed Suzy in a vase of water."




I sure do appreciate the artistry of photographers. Sorry, I can't post the exact picture that insired this little mind excursion. As it should be...it has a copyright. But maybe, you'll find your own little world today in which you can escape. Thank you Glass i for your lovely picture that reminded me of my little trip.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.