General Poetry posted June 29, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A haunting tale of folklore statue. (Freestyle)

Black Aggie, Black Aggie, Bla...

by Mike K2

General Agnus wanted to
share his tribute for us;
so he erected a statue called,"Grief,"
to bolster our Godly belief.

It was to be a monument
and soul marker for his tomb;
to point the way for God.
Resurrection for his bones
resting in hallow earthen womb.

Annie, the general's wife
dead and buried in 1922;
three years later at her feet,
now rested the general too.

During the day, the stature was stately;
but some at night would say, "Satan-ly!"
"Grief," would soon fall to other plans;
a fraternity dare, at night into
her eyes would you stare?
To see what curse lands!



Black Aggie,the woman's grief scorned;
would have been happy, just to be mourned.
Now you chide, "Black Aggie," without remorse...
You're now cursed - with her - no recourse!

Black Aggie, Black Aggie, Black Aggie
Black Aggie, Black Aggie, Black Aggie
Black Aggie, Black Aggie, Black Aggie
... Black Aggie!

You got her attention,
with your bad intention;
just you wait and see!
Glad it won't be me!



Soon, no one visited the
grassless grave during day;
but what a dark sight as
she was mobbed at night by
kids seeking a thrill and a fright!

They found if you say her name
... Ten times ...
in a darkened room with a mirror,
the shadows seen will form and
"Aggie" will show much clearer.

Black Aggie, the woman's greif scorned;
would have been happy just to be mourned.
Now you chide, "Black Aggie," without remorse,
you're now cursed - with her - no recourse!

Black Aggie, Black Aggie, Black Aggie
Black Aggie, Black Aggie, Black Aggie
Black Aggie, Black Aggie, Black Aggie
... Black Aggie!
!With Glowing Red Eyes!


They removed the statue from the grave,
and sent her off to sit in Washington, DC.
The grave's grass grew, while she waited for
people to admire her and politicians to see.

Now what would be the leader's predilection?
It's in the news all the time, the scandals;
as a nation heads down the road to perdition.


Well, we got her attention,
and we thought it, "childish invention;"
Aggie in Washington DC, just you wait and see!
I hope to hell, it won't affect me!




First, I wanted a historically accurate poem about, "Black Aggie's," creation and adaptation into Baltimore's folklore; but enjoyed the fun of hiding it in half-truths.

This is not a photograph of, "Black Aggie," known to the art world as, "Grief," but the original statue that was copied by the artist for, General Felix Agnus, for use on his grave.

This photograph is considered public domain on the Wikipedia and was taken by Danvera at en.wikipedia. (Dan Vera, 2007 at the Rock Creek Cemetery, Washington, D.C.)

The photographer in not part endorses the adaptation of his photograph in any relation to my use. The original photograph was cropped, sized and had the exposure modified by me in photoshop for use in my poem. It was adapted to represent the statue at dusk for my own use in this poem.

Black Aggie is best introduced by my story, as it hit in fifth or sixth grade at Parkville Elementary School. Needless to say, I had to ask Mom about Black Aggie and tell what the classmates wanted me to do in reference to her. Then I asked, "Did you do it!"

Mom laughed and said," Well I never made it to the statue, because we were too scared and said someone died looking at the statue. On a sleepover, we did try to say it into the mirror, but we all chickened out before we got to ten. I made it to three, and we stopped my friend at seven. At home I said in the mirror ten times, like you were supposed to, but I ran out of the bathroom right after it, so I don't know if she appeared or her eyes glowed. I know your grandmother wasn't happy about it and I got in trouble, even though it was a wives tale."

"Don't you do it here!" I did but I whispered it, but I turned away just in case... Mom found out anyway."

Essentially, the first statue was created by the sculptor Augustus St. Gaudens, who had other works such as, "Dianna," that once topped Madison Square Gardens in New York, as well monuments of heroes and statesman.

The original statue was created for Henry Adams to be placed at his wife's grave to provide comfort from him as he fell into despair at her death, which was caused by cyanide poisoning from despair of her father's passing. While Henry Adams never named the statue, the sculptor named her, "Grief."

In Baltimore, General Felix publisher of the, "American," had a copy made for use for his grave. H.L Mencken stated the general had so much lead in him, that he rattled when he walked. When the general was accused of being a barbarian for copying the statue,he claimed to be a victim of art dealers.

The statue was admired during the day, but it is said, ended up being used for a fraternity initiation. From there the legend of Black Aggie grew, and even had an arm cut off of her. When a sheet metal worker was caught with the arm in the car's trunk along with the saw, he claimed she cut it off herself and put it there. While the judge didn't believe it and sent him to jail, other's did and the folklore continued.

Other phenomena was noted, such as the grass around it never grew. By 1960's the attention and damage got so bad, they donated the statue to the Smithsonian Museum and was displayed in the National Gallery for a while, then claimed they never displayed her but put her in a dusty storeroom. Today, she can be seen at the Federal Courts building in Washington, DC in the rear courtyard of the Dolly Madison House.

For more information and complete story, cut and paste this in your web browser.

prairieghosts.som/druidridge.html
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.