General Poetry posted February 22, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
On the destruction of religious texts.

God's Word

by Mike K2

the good book
can be set on fire
words remain




What created this poem is the media treatment of religious book burnings. In regards to the bible, they covered Islamic demonstrations where the American Flag as well as the Bible was burned by the demonstrators. In one sense it infuriated me, but when another person brought it up and expressed anger, my knee jerk reaction was, "Personally I am glad they burned the American Flag and the Bible, they don't deserve them.

But not all things are presented in the media equally, and today news got about American Servicemen insulting and angering Muslims by burning the Koran. Somehow the act overshadows the story and the intent of the act. But right away, the military leaders in Afghanistan issued immediate and extended apologies.

What would prompt American Servicemen to burn Korans? They were the property of prisoners who used them to pass coded messages to each other. At the same time, the Afghan government demanded the bibles brought over to their country be destroyed, no apologies given to anybody. I felt at least an explanation be given by the command, as the constant apologies they way I see them occur add up to only one thing, we are viewed as weak people, and they apologies give credence to what the enemy says. Something out media tends to illustrate as they place a greater weight on something then it should be.

I doubt there is a religion on the face of this earth that wasn't oppressed and had their religious texts and symbols destroyed. Yet, the word from those texts as well the religions importance is always carefully preserved by the faithful.

God's faithful, respects all people and their beliefs and persevere when theirs are challenged.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.