Biographical Fiction posted May 12, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Letting a friend know she is beautiful

I told her after all these years

by Nottoway


A few days ago, I got to tell someone something that has been on my mind for fifty-two years.

It was in January 1972, that my family moved to a different county.  Each day I made a long trek of about seven miles to be able to catch the bus and continue to finish the year at my old school. Sometimes, I would put my bicycle in the back of the pick-up truck as some of my family worked near where I would be able to catch the bus. When I got to where they had to travel northward to the farm for work, I would then ride my bicycle southward one and a half miles to where I would catch the bus. There were other times I would be able to ride with some neighbors who worked in a tobacco processing plan all the way to the town where the school was located. There were many times I would ride the bicycle home in the after when I did not ride with the neighbor all the way to the town where the school was located.

I decided to begin attending the new school starting in September of 1972 in the county we had moved to.  This was my 8th Grade School year. It was during this time when riding the school bus that I fondly recall one particular stop.   There was a girl who would get on the bus along with her sister that even way back then I thought was very pretty.  We never talked a lot but, to me she was very nice.

About a year and a half later, I also began to drive the buses as a substitute driver.  I was already a bit older, so I was able to be licensed and the school board approved me as a driver. She graduated a year before me and I always admired her.

Back to the phone call.     

Over the last few years, I have made an effort to say hello to fellow alumni of my high school and she is one of them.   We have managed to talk several times and I would often think about telling her how I saw her back them.   I have no intentions of trying to develop a relationship as we are firmly committed in our respective relationships and are about 1200 miles apart as well.

But I felt comfortable in telling her that starting all the way back in the Fall of 1972, I considered her to be one of the most beautiful girls in the school.  I always looked forward to seeing her during those years.  

She graduated high school in the Spring of 1976 and I graduated in 1977, which was the last time I ever saw her.

But I am glad I finally  told her that she was always a pretty ray of sunshine to me.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Nottoway All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Nottoway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.