General Fiction posted May 14, 2024 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
prologue to The Downfall

A chapter in the book The Interloper

The Early Years Part 1

by dragonpoet

Welcome, my new friends, to the saga of the Asherfield family, as told by its often ignored and forgotten member. The outcast who was born with straight ash blonde hair among family of brown curly haired people. The only traits that gave me a family resemblance are my mother's shortness and my father's eyes.

My earliest memories were at the age of two. Agatha, my elder sister (five years older), acted as my second mother until my parents decided to hire a nanny. Even then, at times, she carried me around and fed me. At this time, my mother thought society parties were more important than taking care of her children and my father was working more than he was at home.
My brother, Henry (three years older) stared at me like I was a space alien. He was expecting a little brother. He always remained disappointed that I wasn't a boy. Though at seemed it times he got used to the idea, but then he did something that changed my mind.
When I was old enough to notice, I did think my parents loved each other because they kissed one another as my dad left for work and when he returned. I also noticed some looks between them as they passed each other that seemed meant to be private. I was always watching surreptitiously because I was curious about everything as a child.
My father started out as a doting father bur as I got older he had opposing looks in his eyes. Sometimes of love and others as if I was a possible influx of money when I got married. I overheard conversations on this subject when Aggie turned fifteen and was getting prepared for her coming out at sixteen.
A major change happened when my sister, Natalie (two years younger), was born. She and my mother almost died in childbirth. The doctor told her she would never have another child. Since Natalie was a baby, everyone, even Henry, protected her. He was a second father to her because Dad started working more and more as years went on. He was very ambitious and always looking toward the next promotion. Justifying his extra hours as more money for his family. Though he didn't seem to be spending any more money on us. Most of it went into the bank.
Later I realized that was a misplaced judgement as he used some to buy a much needed, bigger house after Natalie was born. It had four bedrooms on the second floor and quarters for three servants in the basement that had its own entrance. These were later filled with a nanny, cook and a carriage driver. There was also a wine cellar in the basement. The attic was big enough to house a playroom and a storeroom. The main floor had a big kitchen, a drawing room, a ballroom, and an office for my father. There were four bathrooms, two on the second floor, one on the main floor and one in the basement for the servants. Even though it wasn't the biggest house in the area, it still seemed palatial to me.
The nanny was let go when Natalie was ten because my parents thought we were old enough to take care of ourselves. The cook was also the housekeeper because she just helped cook for the parties which were held for major holidays and birthdays.
As we grew up Natalie and I became joined at the hip because we shared a bedroom. Even though it was the smallest, it was still roomy. It had two closets which probably stopped some possible disagreements as we got older.
Natalie was outgoing at first, but slowly grew quieter because of being overshadowed by Aggie and Henry. She was much more humble than either Aggie or Henry. I tried my best to get her to come out of her shell. But it never worked.
Henry was called Harry until he was thirteen. For, in his teen-aged pride, he thought Harry sounded too childish and would only answer to Henry. He also started to act like the lord of the manor because he was the only son and he thought that meant he was the heir. He didn't realize that Aggie could be the heir because she was the oldest and daughters could inherit. Aggie let him know this when she thought he was putting on airs. This caused fights between them at times. Natalie and I refused to get involved.


















Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dragonpoet All rights reserved.
dragonpoet has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.