General Fiction posted May 5, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Learning you aren't who you thought you were...

Living A Lie

by Begin Again


"Can't you go to the Clerk's Office and get it for me?" Matt pleaded with his wife.

"No, I can't. I told you I was too busy today. Why are you so worried about getting your birth certificate? It's not like you don't know who you are or when you were born."

"I know. I guess it just made me think about both my parents. They've been gone for years, and I don't have any family except my dad's two sisters in Indiana." Matt chuckled, "And they're so old, they probably don't even remember who they are."

"No family, huh?" Carrie raised an eyebrow in his direction. "Who am I? Chopped liver or the live-in housekeeper?"

Matt pulled her into his arms. "You, my love, are my life, my wife. Without you, I would have nothing — literally!" He laughed and hugged her.

"Flattery will get you everywhere, but I'm not going to the Clerk's Office." Carrie pressed her hands against his chest and playfully shoved him away.

"You know what I meant. I have no flesh and blood relatives except two aunts in their nineties that I haven't seen since I was a teenager. You wouldn't understand because you have a big family and always have."

"True, but at times, I wish I didn't have to deal with all of them."

"I know you, and you don't mean that. They get on your nerves, but you wouldn't have it any other way, especially when holidays roll around."

"Probably." Carrie kissed his cheek. Now, I've got things to do, and so do you. It will only take you a few minutes to get the birth certificate and stop at the Social Security office for your new card. Stop fussing and get it done. You act like it's going to be earth-shattering or something."

"You don't know. Maybe I'll discover that I was actually born in another country and my parents were aristocrats living a secret life."

"Right! That's why they lived in a small house, barely getting by on their pensions. I'm afraid, you'll have to settle for being the only son of average people."

"They could have at least had a few more kids. I didn't even have the pleasure of fighting with siblings."

"I didn't see you complaining when your dad bought you that brand new mustang when you turned sixteen. I doubt that would have happened if there had been more siblings." Carrie shook her head. "You can't change the facts, so let it go. Besides, I kind of like the fact I don't have to share you with others. Now, go get the birth certificate so we can stop talking about it."

******

It wasn't like Matt to dwell on the loss of his parents, but today, he felt a sense of sadness and loss as he waited in line. He had a good life, but he always felt like something was missing.

When it was his turn, he approached the desk, recognizing the clerk, Karen, as an old classmate. They chatted for a few moments, reminiscing, and then she hurried away to get the certificate.

When she returned with the document, she had a curious expression. "A man of many secrets, I see."

Remembering his earlier conversation with Carrie, he chuckled, "Why do you say that? Have you discovered my deep, dark past?"

"Don't know how dark it was, but how come you never mentioned you were adopted?"

Matt stared at her. His heart raced as he tried to process what she said. "Think you're funny, huh? I wasn't adopted."

"Well, your birth certificate says you were." Karen handed him the paper and pointed at the stamped notation in the corner. "It says adopted."

"You've got the wrong guy." Matt read and reread the certificate. Other than the stamp, it read like a normal certificate — his name, his parents, and his date of birth.

"Turn the page. There's another certificate behind it. The original one."

Matt's eyes widened in disbelief and confusion. The second certificate listed Mabel Jean Jordan as his mother and left the father's name blank. His given name was Michael Stephen Jordan. "Is this for real, Karen?"

"It is. Do you mean you never knew you were adopted?"

"Nope. My parents never said anything or even left something to tell me after they passed."

"I'm sorry you found out like this, but look at the bright side; since your parents are gone, maybe you have another family to get to know."

"Maybe, but how do you tell a stranger something like that? And my mother — She gave me away. That doesn't say much for her.

"That's not fair. She might have had a good reason, and you had a good life with your mom and dad."

"My mom and dad. I've been living a lie my whole life. This piece of paper is the only clue who I am."

*****

As he left the City Clerk's office that day, clutching his birth certificates in hand, Matt's mind raced with questions. Who were his biological parents? Why did they place him for adoption? Why hadn't his parents told him? And most importantly, what did this new revelation mean for his sense of self?

As he walked down the street, the sun shining brightly overhead, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of hope for the future that lay ahead. "Maybe — just maybe — I've got a brother or sister waiting to meet me."



Revelation Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You just discovered that something you thought was true is, in fact, a lie.
It could be a big or small thing, personal or widespread, good news or very bad news, based on real life or imagined.
Tell us what it is and then you could talk about how you found out, the consequences of learning the truth, or anything related to this new-to-you revelation.

Aim for a 500-ish word limit


At the age of 30, my husband discovered that he was adopted, and the story revolves around this revelation. He thought he was an only child and when his parents passed, he felt alone without family. He later discovered his mom was alive and that he had four siblings. No one had known of his existence and his mother hoped to keep it that way. Later, he did make connections with the two older brothers and a sister.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.