General Fiction posted May 11, 2024 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Heddy goes to see Artie.

A chapter in the book Saltwater Ghosts

Morning Fog

by GWHARGIS



Background
Eleven-year-old Heddy can communicate with her deceased grandmother, Nonni.
So far, Heddy has discovered and befriended a German hiding in an abandoned house on the island. She has a new boyfriend, Lester, who she kissed. Now, she has seen the effect the war has had on her recently returned brother, Willis.

**********************************************************************************************

None of us talk about what happened. Maybe it's better to pretend nothing happened. Daddy has already left on the ferry and Willis goes upstairs to take a bath. He pauses at the bottom of the stairs and looks at me. "Sure was a pretty sunrise, wasn't it?"

I nod, happy that he's our Willis again.

"You tired, Heddy?" Momma asks. "You can lie down on the sofa if you want to."

"Can you make pancakes?"

Momma looks in the icebox and after a few seconds she frowns. "No, I'm sorry, but we're running low on milk. I will as soon as our rations come through."

I fold my arms on the kitchen table and lay my head on them. "It's okay. Can I have some fried tomatoes and eggy bread?"

At this she smiles brightly and nods. "That I can do. Why don't you go knock on the bathroom door and ask your brother if he wants any?"

I push the chair back quickly and run out of the kitchen and up the steps. I am about to knock on the door when I stop. I can hear him whispering. Saying a prayer through strangled tears. The demons of war have woken up again.

**********************************************************************************************

I eat all of the eggy bread and almost all of the tomatoes. Momma didn't ask me why Willis wouldn't answer me. I think a part of her understood. She also lets me go play by myself on the beach. "Go be a little girl," she says after I rinse off the plate.

I shouldn't go to Artie's, but my feet don't mind my head and next thing I know I'm peeking over the sea oats to see if he's outside.

"Mr. Artie," I call. I look around before approaching the old house. "It's me, Heddy. Are you here?"

I hear the squeak of the front door and he pokes his head out. "Ah, my friend, Heddy. Where is the brave mail boy?"

"He has to help unload the mail from the ferry today. His aunt doesn't let him come over when the boat comes in."

Artie nods and steps out onto the deck. "You come to visit with me?"

"Yes. My brother is home now. He got tumbled and has to use a walking stick. But he came home with all his arms and legs."

Artie smiles broadly. "That is very good news. You must be very happy."

I try to smile. I want to be happy like Artie says but I can't pretend. I look away, hoping he will think I'm just looking at the overgrown yard. My eyes burn as tears rise like flood waters over my bottom lashes.

"Heddy, you are crying, but why?"

"He has demons of war in his head. He was yelling and crying last night. We went out on the beach and he stopped. I thought they were gone, but, this morning, he, uh, he was crying to God, asking Him to make it go away."

Artie sits on the bench and pats the spot beside him. "He has seen the ugly side of things. People who are usually good and kind, they change with war. My father was in the Great War. He had nightmares and would wake up in a cold sweat. It is sad that even in sleep they find no peace."

"Did it go away, ever?" I ask, not trusting myself enough to look at him. Instead I stare at my bare feet.

"It became less. He was changed but once he saw that he was safe with Momma and my brother and I, he got better. Your brother just needs time with you and your momma and father. He will understand that God let him return home for a reason."

He slips his reddish brown arm around my shoulder and gives me a gentle squeeze. "Ah, before I forget, I have something for you." He stands and runs back inside, returning a moment later. "Since you gave me that beautiful shell, I found this for you."

"Should I close my eyes?"

He laughs softly. "If you wish."

I hold out my hand and press my eyes together. He puts something cool and smooth in my hands. I look at it. Its a large piece of sea glass, red and frosted by being tumbled in the ocean.

"Wow." I bring it up to look at it closely. Its beautiful, like a jewel. "You found it on this beach?"

"Yes. I was going to send it to my momma but I think it wouldn't get to her. So, I thought, who would like this as much as she would? I thought of you."

I nod my head excitedly. "I do!"

Artie smiles and his brow furrows. "Good, now wipe those tears from your eyes and remember, your brother just needs time to realize he's safe. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Good, now I have work to do so go enjoy your day."

I hold the ruby red glass in my hand and run down the dune back to the beach. I get far enough away to where I can sit on the sand and look at my treasure. I've only seen two other pieces of red sea glass and neither of them were as pure red and large as this.

I have one troubling thought. Momma is going to ask me where I found it. I'm going to have to lie. Lies are like marsh muck, the more you tell them, the deeper you sink. But, sometimes you have to tell lies, especially when you know the truth could put someone in danger.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.