General Fiction posted May 1, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
First Liner

Life is Such a Joy

by Wils


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I write this sitting in the kitchen sink. I admit, not the most comfortable of positions but when you are about to be evicted from your home, your furniture has been repossessed and an idea for a brilliant story jumps out at you, you take what you can get.

You can see the hilarity can’t you? Scrawny me sitting yoga-like with my left foot around my right ear. The sink faucet is sticking into my upper spine causing me to hunch forward whilst my bulbous nose sticks itself three centimetres away from my writing. I have managed to scrounge up a marking pen, possibly one of the few possessions I have left in the world and scrawl a few notes for the story on a nearby packing box.

You’re probably wondering how I got into this predicament. When your partner of twenty years suddenly decides she wants to bat for the other side and leaves you for the “other woman” it leaves, not only a hole in your heart but also in your income. Suddenly bills go unpaid, the hole of debt gets deeper, collections come knocking and I am left dressed in my robe and sitting in my kitchen sink writing something that will hopefully be publishable.

Life is such a joy!




First Line Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Choose a first line from a famous novel, and continue on with a story of your own. (Google will quickly give you a listing of first lines, if needed). List the novel in the notes.
No poetry
Any genre
300 words approx. limit



Ex: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, and I had a flat tire at rush hour...
(A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens)


The first sentence is from "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wils All rights reserved.
Wils has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.