General Non-Fiction posted April 30, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What to do, what to do

When Life Gives You Lemons

by jmdg1954



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

There is a saying that goes-

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Well, why fall into the same rut and make lemonade.

I say, "Screw dat! Make LIMONCELLO".

And that’s what I did. Though “life” didn’t provide me with the bushel of lemons, I went out and purchased my own.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Originating in Southern Italy, Limoncello is a classic Italian liqueur with an inviting lemon taste. Having a few simple ingredients and an added splash of patience, you can make your own homemade limoncello in the comfort of your own kitchen.

It's made by infusing lemon peel in pure alcohol and later combining it with a simple syrup. The result is a yellow liqueur with a delicious balance of tartness and sweetness. Keep it chilled because it’s ideal for sipping or as a refreshing ingredient in cocktails, ie; Limoncello Moscow Mule, Limoncello Spritzer or a Limoncello Mint Mojito.

But don’t stop there. You can also use it in desserts; for example, tiramisu, or add a few drops over a fresh fruit salad or sorbet. Keep it going by adding a tablespoon to a homemade salad vinaigrette, or a marinade for grilled chicken or fish. The opportunities are endless.

You will find that making limoncello at home is more than just a recipe, it's an experience (be careful not to drink too much experience, haha). 

Seriously, making limoncello at home is fun:

  • You control the quality of the ingredients, 
  • You ensure the use of the finest lemons,
  • Ice-cold limoncello is a refreshing drink and worth the time it takes to make,
  • Beautiful digestif (after dinner) as opposed to aperitif ( before dinner),
  • Limoncello makes a great DIY holiday gift (or anytime gift) everybody on your list will love.
 

On the morning of 4/1/24, I began making my first-ever batch of Limoncello. Before anything else, there were two things of importance which needed to be addressed. One, brew a pot of Tanzanian Peaberry coffee, a medium- bodied roast, and two, was to get the music rock’n. 

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida     By Iron Butterfly

A 1968 recording of a song titled In The Garden of Eden, in which the band members were too stoned to sing properly and slurred the title into, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

    In a gadda da vida, honey

    Don't you know that I'm lovin' you

    In a gadda da vida, baby

    Don't you know that I'll always be true

With the coffee brewing and the music rock’n the kitchen, I was ready to begin.

LIMONCELLO

INGREDIENTS:

10 lemons
1 (750-ml) bottle EVERCLEAR® 
3 ½ cups water
2 ½ cups sugar

   NOTE : Everclear is 190 proof grain alcohol, use carefully 

PREPARATION:

Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zest from 10 lemons in long strips. It’s best to use organic lemons to avoid waxy residue and pesticides and be sure to wash and scrub the outside rind.

The peeled lemons themselves won’t be used, and may be reserved for other uses.

Next, the pith (white of the lemon rind) needs to be removed or the finished product will be bitter. To do this, lay the zest pith-side up, and carefully scrape away the pith with a sharp knife.

THE INFUSION:

Place the lemon zest in a large, sealable container (at least 2 quarts), and pour one 750ml bottle of Everclear® over the zest. The 190 proof Everclear® has the greatest extraction ability, but 151 proof is a perfectly suitable substitute.

Seal or cover the container and keep in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate. Allow to steep for two to four weeks if your schedule allows. The longer it steeps, the more flavor the Everclear will absorb. Shake the container every couple of days.

FINAL STEPS:

Make simple syrup by combining 3 ½ cups of water and 2 ½ cups of sugar in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Keep boiling and stir frequently for about 5-10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to rest until the simple syrup has cooled to room temperature.

Add the simple syrup to the lemon infusion to taste, cover and let rest overnight. Using cheeseclothe, strain mixture into a sealable container(s). I used mason jars for home use and purchased taller corked bottles for gifting.

Store limoncello in the freezer, and serve in a chilled shot glass.

UNVEILING:

Sunday 4/28/24 was our 45th wedding anniversary and with "Only You" by The Platters playing in the background (our wedding song), I presented her with a pour of my homemade Limoncello. She was surprisingly happy. 

I'm still trying to figure out if her lips puckered to kiss me or due to the tartness of the lemon. I'll add that to our mystery pile...

Remember: Though it is extremely sweet and easy to drink, limoncello packs a strong punch — so make sure to drink responsibly!




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.