General Fiction posted April 30, 2024


Aboriginal Artist

White Gums

by Aussie


His rheumy eyes scanned the red plains. Sitting beneath a white gum tree, a tear rolled down his onyx cheek.
He opened his paintbox and set his canvas ready to paint the purple mountains.
A simple tribal man made famous for his unique style of painting. He was nervous as the Queen was visiting Australia.
He was told she was coming to see his artwork. Albert was refused permission by the Government to have his paintings in the National Art Gallery because he was not deemed an Australian; just a tribal black.

The Queen's Land Rover arrived at Albert's camp. He had never seen a white woman. The Queen walked towards the tribe.
Albert's paintings were propped against a massive red gum tree. Uncomfortable in white man's clothes, he just wanted to return to nature.

She walked the line giving them medals, making them all Australians.



Flash Fiction contest entry


Post Number 1000
A Milestone Post

Recognized


Contest Entry for 150 words Flash Fiction. Albert Namatjira was our most celebrated indigenous artist. I have created this story around what may have happened. I do know Queen Elizabeth 11 made him an Australian. I think this was an insult to one of the 1st Australians.
His paintings still draw crowds.
Pays one point and 32 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aussie All rights reserved.
Aussie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.