General Fiction posted April 9, 2024 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Heddy's daddy has exciting news.

A chapter in the book Saltwater Ghosts

Daddy Dances

by GWHARGIS



Background
Eleven-year-old Heddy can communicate with her deceased grandmother, Nonni
So far, Heddy has met a new friend named Lester. She also spilled the beans about a mysterious man who lives on the island. She has sworn Lester to secrecy but now worries he will tell.

************************************************************************************************

I'm fresh out of the bath when I hear the sound of my daddy coming home. He whistles the same tune every evening. My momma says it's the only song he knows, but I think she's just joking. I run out of the front door as quickly as I can. "Daddy," I say. "Look how pretty the windows look."

He stops in his tracks and takes his time looking the whole front of the house over. "Is this our house? Did we get new glass in the panes?"

I shake my head. "Nope."

"Well, they didn't look this shiny when I left home this morning. What's going on, Ladybug?"

I giggle. "I cleaned them. All of them. Inside and out."

He scratches his forehead and looks real surprised. "You did this? A little girl like you?"

I nod. He looks the house over again. This time he lets go a big sigh.

"Well, now, I am just stunned, Heddy. These windows look so clean, I'll bet some of the dumber birds will try to fly right in our house."

I glance over my shoulder. I hadn't thought about that. "I don't want a bird to get hurt, Daddy."

He starts to consider this for a moment. "Well, the good thing about living by the ocean is the salt air will settle back on the glass pretty quickly. I have an idea." He leans down and motions for me to come closer. "We can distract them. We can throw out some vegetable seeds and some old crusts of bread. That will keep them from flying around. They'll be so busy pecking away at the ground looking for their next meal that they won't be in the air."

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, my daddy is very smart. I know where the pile of cantaloupe rinds are out behind the garden. I can pick through the discards and find enough stuff to toss on the front yard.

"I've got good news, Heddy. Lets hurry up and go find your mother."

***********************************************************************************************

Momma sits at the table, reading a letter from my aunt. She looks up and tilts her head so my daddy can plant a kiss on her cheek. "Lana says Belinda has to change the date of her wedding. Seems her fiance has to ship out next month. Poor girl, she's heartbroken. She wanted a big beautiful wedding. Lana says they are going to get married by the justice of the peace next week."

"She'll get over it. We had a small wedding, remember?" Daddy says. His hand glides along the curve of Momma's shoulder.

"I do remember. I remember your momma wearing that purple flower in her hair, and the bees were chasing her all over the church yard."

Daddy chuckles. "You should have been there, Heddy. You would have enjoyed yourself."

Momma playfully smacks his hand.

"Are you ready for some really good news?"

Both Momma and I stare up at him, waiting for him to tell us what he's been holding back.

"Willis will be home next week." The words are hardly out of his mouth before my momma jumps up and throws her arms around his neck.

"Are you certain?" she asks, pulling back just enough to look into my daddy's eyes. "You aren't teasing me, are you?"

His smile is gentle when he looks at her. "I would never do something like that. I received this telegram today when I was at work. He's coming home, sweetheart. Our boy is coming home."

I wrap my arms around both of them, so glad to see them happy. I'm happy too. I really am.

My daddy goes into the living room and walks over to the phonograph. He takes one of the shiny black records and puts it on the spindle. Music fills the room. "May I have this dance?" he asks, bowing in front of my mother. "Say yes, and you'll make me the happiest man on earth."

My mother unties her apron and reaches to fix her hair, but Daddy catches her hand. "You look beautiful," he whispers.

I sit down at the table and watch them waltz around the room. They look so perfect together. My daddy looks over and winks. "You're next, Ladybug."

They dance real close, whispering things to each other that I can't hear, exchanging smiles only for each other.

I wonder how it feels to be in love like that. To start dancing right before it's dinner time. Momma is smiling and blushing like she's a young girl. I wonder if I'll ever have something like that. I know one thing, I want to marry a man just like my daddy.

I lay my head on the table listening to the soft music and watching my parents dance together. I wonder if Lester will marry his girl, Lucille. He loves her, I think. I should ask him what it's like. A noise makes me turn and look behind me. Nonni is leaning against the counter, she's smiling as she watches them.

"You'll have that one day, Heddy. I promise you."

"How will I know?"

Nonni hugs herself. "You'll just know."


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.