General Fiction posted May 14, 2024 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
continuation of of prologue

A chapter in the book The Interloper

The Early Years Part 2

by dragonpoet

Until Aggie was fifteen everything went along as 'normal'. Natalie was the child everyone protected. Dad slowly taught Henry about what he did and how to run the house. Making us think that Henry might be the heir though Aggie was never told that the will had been changed. This reunited animosity between the two oldest children. I just watched things happen and wasn't noticed unless I was needed for something. At first, I didn't mind being ignored. But as time went on, it began to bother me. I didn't know how to change this. I think everyone doting on Natalie gave her low self-confidence and soon she stopped trying new things or speaking up for herself.
In our bedroom at night, I tried my best to keep Natalie talking about things she wanted to do and how to tell Aggie and Daniel to let her do them. But she was naturally shy and she always seemed to become very small when she tried to talk to them, so they disregarded her wishes. I also, talked about my feelings about being left out of everything. She just shrugged and didn't seem to know what to say, for she was sort of in the same boat.
Mother began training Aggie for society parties away from our house that she would attend after her coming-out party. She taught her nervous daughter how to greet guests with titles, the steps to the fancy dances that adults did at the parties, and the right silverware to use for the different courses. Also the polite way to take appetizers off trays. For the dances she used Henry as her partner. I watched through the open doors, a little jealous that I couldn't join in.
When party day arrived, Aggie was dressed in a new gown of different shades of rose that Mother thought brought out her coloring well. Her hair was up in a bun with curled tendrils on each side of her face. In front of the bun was a tiara to match her earrings and bracelet.

The three of us dressed nicely but not to out shine Aggie. We were told to not draw attention to ourselves and to help direct certain boys toward Aggie, if they weren't going to her themselves.
The ballroom was decorated to match Aggie's dress as much as possible. The lights in the sconces had colored screens to dim the lights and the linens matched one of the shades in her dress. The chandeliers over the dance floor were the only lights that weren't dimmed. That was to prevent any dancers from tripping. She would have one dance with each boy my Mother motioned to us to point towards her.
Any boy she danced with a second time would be accepted as a suitor. When my mother saw her choose a boy for the second time, she would hand the boy's mother an invitation to visit her at our house. If the boy passed the house meeting, then his parents were called to join mother and the possible new couple on a walk through the park. If more than one boy received this honor, then there would be a discussion about which one would be the best choice for a possible engagement. It seemed more important to my mother that the boy was rich than the Aggie liked one boy more than the other. Money was always more important to my parents, it seemed, than their children's happiness.








Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dragonpoet All rights reserved.
dragonpoet has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.