Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 11, 2024 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Haibun (for rules ck author notes)

A chapter in the book 2024 Favorites

The Sun Shines Outside

by Gypsy Blue Rose

The sun shines outside but my home is dark and gloomy and my bedroom is a torture chamber. Every night I dread going to bed.  I know sleep will not come easy.  

snakes of light

    slither through my window blinds —

darkness wins the fight

 

I stare at the ceiling that feels like the top of my coffin. Until a raging storm grows in my chest and I get up before my heart explodes.  I pace my bedroom floor back and forth like a tiger in a cage. It feels like I can't breathe and I am going to pass out.  I panic and there is no one with me, only God, my quiet and loving companion.

fierce beast

    devours flesh and bones —

spits out a tender heart

 

The morning comes and I dread getting out of bed to start another worthless day.  Nothing sounds like fun.  I look through a sliver of opened window blinds and I feel disconnected, life marches on.

sunrise came and went

    without me —

daybreak misses me

 

Family and friends tell me to get over it, it's all in my head, just be positive. But their words are vacuous and float past my head.  Nothing seems worth doing and darkness fills my days.

in a sea of despair,

an empty boat 

is full of broken dreams

 

I beg my doctor to change my medication but she refuses to adjust them. I look at a fist full of pills, seducing me to end the pain.

I grasp God’s hand and we face another day.

 




*** 988 *** Suicide Prevention and Crisis Line

I am bipolar with long depression episodes and short manic episodes. I also have severe panic attacks. When I was younger I refused to take medication so life was a rollercoaster, as I have gotten older I decided to reach out for help. Life is good. With medication, bipolar people can live normal lives. I don't seek pity, I share my experiences with this illness in case there is someone out there who needs help. It gets better.

vacuous = empty; without contents

HAIBUN is a Japanese poetic form that combines prose and haiku.

TENSE: present or past

SUBJECT MATTER: autobiographical, travel journal, slice of life, memory, dream short sketch of a person, place, and event.

TOPICS: life as a journey, love affairs, illness, human concerns & experiences

POINT OF VIEW: first person (everything seen through the author's eyes), third person (he/she)

TONE sets a mood, often interrupted by the haiku

SENSORY: uses imagery, sensory, concrete details, no abstractions

FOCUS on one or two elements

LANGUAGE uses language to suit the subject matter and mood (colloquial, formal, dialect)

LENGTH: varies from very brief (1-2 sentences) with one haiku, to long prose entries with interspersed haiku, to memoir-length works Styles Haiku/prose Prose/haiku Haiku/prose/haiku, Prose/haiku/prose/haiku/prose/haiku etc.

PROSE tells the story, gives information, defines the theme, creates a mood through tone, provides a background to spotlight the haiku

HAIKU: moves the story forward, takes the narrative in another direction, adds insight or another dimension to the prose, resolves the conflict in an unpredictable way, or questions the resolution of the prose.

Prose is the narrative and haiku is the revelation or the reaction.

Guidelines for Writing Haibun in English by Margaret Chula

click here to read guidelines for writing haibun

for Haibun Today examples and more information click here

for wikipedia definition click here

for Graceguts- more information click here

click here for a pdf file of guidelines

Thank you very much for reading and reviewing my poem,

Gypsy

pictures from my Pinterest account
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gypsy Blue Rose All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Gypsy Blue Rose has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.