General Fiction posted March 12, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
prologue to The Downfall

The Early Years Chapter 1

by dragonpoet

My earliest memories about the age of two. My sister Agatha (called Aggie, 5 years older) was my second mother. My mother, at that time, though planning and attending society functions was more important than taking care of her children. Though from the time we could hold needles she taught us to sew and when if was safe for us she taught us to sew.

My brother, Henry (three years older) stared at me like I was a space alien. He was expecting a little brother. He always remained disappointed that I wasn't a boy. Though it seemed at times he got used to the idea, he did something that changed my mind.

My father had opposing looks in his eyes. Generally, they were of love. But, as I got older, there was the look of a possible influx of money when I got married. I overheard conversations on this subject when Aggie turned fifteen and was getting prepared for her coming out at sixteen.

The second major happening was when my sister, Natalie (two years younger), was born. She and my mother almost died in childbirth. The doctor told her she would never have another child. Since Natalie was a baby, everyone, even Henry, protected her. He was a second father to her because Dad started working more and more as years went on. He was very ambitious and always looking toward the next promotion.

Soon that work paid of and we could move into a, much needed, bigger house. It had four bedrooms on the second floor and quarters for three servants in the basement that had its own entrance. These were later filled with a nanny, cook and a driver. There was also a wine cellar in the basement. The attic was big enough to house a playroom and a storeroom. The main floor had a big kitchen, a drawing room, a ballroom, and an office for my father. There were four bathrooms, two on the second floor, one on the main floor and one in the basement for the servants.

The nanny was let go when Natalie was ten because my parents thought we were old enough to take care of ourselves. The cook was also the housekeeper because she just helped cook for the parties which were held for major holidays and birthdays.

As we grew up Natalie and I became joined at the hip because we shared a bedroom. Even though it was the smallest, it was still roomy. It had two closets which probably stopped some possible disagreements as we got older.

Natalie was outgoing at first, but slowly grew quieter because of being overshadowed by Aggie and Henry.

Henry was called Harry until he was thirteen. At that time, he thought Harry sounded too childish and would only answer to Henry. He also started acted like the lord of the manor because he was the only son and he thought that meant he was the heir. He didn't realize that Aggie could be the heir because she was the oldest and daughters could inherit. Aggie let him know this and this caused fights between them at times. Natalie and I kept out of these.


















Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dragonpoet All rights reserved.
dragonpoet has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.